Answered By: Kylie McMartin Last Updated: Oct 09, 2023 Views: 31
The Library has a significant collection of photographs that document parts of the history of Darwin, as well as the visual history of the institutions leading up to the establishment of Charles Darwin University.
We hold three large collections:
Charles Darwin University (Ledwidge) Photographs
This collection covers the various institutions that make up the history of CDU including:
- Darwin Community College 1974-1984
- Darwin Institute of Technology 1984-1989
- UCNT 1985 – 1989
- Northern Territory University 1989-2003
The majority of photographs were taken by Baz Ledwidge, University Photographer
A collection donated by Robert Vivian Shewring, who came to Darwin in 1934 with the First Contingent of the Australian Permanent Army to be stationed in Darwin. The men were billeted in Vestey's old meatworks, at Bullocky Point, while they built the first buildings at Larrakeyah Barracks, and erected the big guns at East Point. Mr Shewring, then Gunner Shewring, Artillery Regiment, was a carpenter, and the photographs depict life in the barracks, Darwin and the Territory.
This collection of photographs was taken by Station managers working for the Australian Investment Agency (commonly known as Vesteys) in the Northern Territory and East Kimberley from approximately 1917 to the 1970s. Content includes aspects of station life such as homesteads and other buildings, staff, livestock and vehicles. Copies of the collection were made by the Darwin Institute of Technology, and when the Australian Investment Agency went into liquidation, the collection was ceded to the safekeeping of the Northern Territory University.
We also have a number of other smaller collections of photos. Browse CDU Digital Collections to see what we hold.
To request access for personal or research purposes, contact us, and we'll email the forms along with any advice needed.